Wednesday, December 9, 2009

"Counting It All Joy"

Kind of funny- Our blog name fits perfectly for today's post. This morning I was reading a devotional Jordan set aside for me to read (Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon). In a devotion about waiting on God to answer prayer (and the reality that often we have to "wait" for answers), Spurgeon wrote "You will treasure the mercy all the more because of the wait." I found this to be so true. I was telling a friend last week that our life is so much richer as of recent because of our daughter (and my dad). Every milestone achieved, every time Ansley reaches for something, rolls over, sits up stabler, or what have you is filled with such a deep and remarkable joy. You see, with Ansley none of those things are guaranteed, so when they come they are such sweet moments. It made me think about Zachary. When he was Ansley's age and he rolled over, sat up, walked... it was special, but in more of a sentimental kind of way. In a sense, we assumed that "of course" he would do all of those things. It was a given he would grow up and walk and talk and on and on. But with Ansley, those things aren't guaranteed, so they fill us with such a deeper joy and gratitude. When she does something, we rejoice and praise God for it. The more I thought about Zachary the more I started thinking about myself. You see, I am beginning to realize that for my son, my wife, myself, and all of the rest of us: we have no guarantee greater than Ansley. We just assume we do, and thereby miss out on millions of God's graces because we assume they belong to us. Most of my life I have assumed that I will (and perhaps even deserve) be healthy, generally happy, and generally successful. God has shown me through my daughter a new perspective. Ansley has shown me that each day, each blessing is a gift from a generous and gracious Father. I have begun to see things I "assumed" I should have as undeserved blessings. I have begun to see countless graces I took for granted for years. I challenge you: life becomes much richer as begin to cultivate a sense of thankfulness for God's rich and immeasurable generosity. As far as "deserving" goes: "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Rom. 6:23)

2 comments:

The McBrides said...

I love the statement about our assumptions, yet really we are all so very vulnerable and promised nothing apart from God's plan for our lives: pain or pleasure. We love you all and are praying, knowing God is going to do exactly a miracle. WE KNOW HE CAN. It's funny, when we were in Ethiopia we went to a church and the pastor spoke about how many of the members had experienced miracles in their lives...at first we thought "yeah right"...but then we saw them pray: for HOURS on their knees crying out to God BEFORE church started. That's the difference we need and want to pray that way for your family. much love...

Frugalissa said...

The journey we have been one makes me realize I take nothing for granted and truly shouldn't we all be like that. Our breath, life, salvation, shelter, food, health, etc. B/c in an instant it can be gone. For me personally I think God allows different circumstances so you can enjoy life more b/c it is not till something is gone or almost gone that you can truly be thankful you have it. When I almost died and nearly lost Makenlee while pregnant w/ her. There is not a day that goes by even when I am in the throughs of training up a strong willed girl I don't say thank you Jesus for her life. B/c yes I want her to mind me and not throw a fit over not wearing a pink skirt. But I almost lost her. So I would much rather take her srong willed spirt then not have a daughter.