Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Here I Raise My Ebenezer

"Then Samuel took a stone and set it between Mizpah and Shen, and named it Ebenezer, saying, 'Thus far the Lord has helped us." (1 Sam. 7:12)

Jordan wrote me a really encouraging note that looked back on some of the things that God has done in our daughter's life thus far. Dad gave me the idea of calling these moments our "Ebenezers". I thought I would share the reflection with you:

Remember when Ansley wouldn't hold her head up or look at us? She seemed so far behind & look at her now!

Remember when a week ago she wouldn't eat anything? And, look at her now.

Remember when our pediatrician said her brain may have already hit its plateau? Now she understands "look at the light".

Remember when our neurologist said she may never walk back in October? Then, on Feb. 1st he said, "I have no doubt she will run and play."

Remember when he said she may never talk? Now she is cooing and babbling in response to our words, and interacting vocally with us?

Remember the way your heart felt when he said "I am in awe of what she can do"?

Remember when he said "no way, not possible" to the prospect of her sitting up on time?

Remember when her foot that had been locked tight "just loosened up" in a week or two?

Remember when we thought there was no way around a feeding tube?

Remember what it felt like when she started sitting up on her own?

Remember spending 3 nights in Children's Hospital because they thought she might have meningitis only for her to have a normal viral infection?

Remember being told she will probably need a brace for her left leg? Now she is standing on her feet better, and more naturally, every day.

Remember what it felt to walk away from Children's after our last neurologist appointment?

Remember that our daughter has 100% by the blood of Christ, His mercy and compassion, been protected from seizures.

We thank you all for joining with us. Your prayers are constantly rising to "Him who is Able" and God has shown tremendous grace and compassion towards our little girl. We give Him all the glory for the great things He has done in our daughter's life. We urge you to continue to pray for her physical and cognitive development. Pray she will continue to "awe" and "amaze" the medical community.

Secondly, I challenge you to sit for a moment and raise an ebenezer yourself. Think back over how "Thus far the Lord has helped [me]". I urge you to remember the great things He has done in your own life. These memories become our sustenance in times of weakness and drought.

"Here I raise my Ebenezer; here by thy great help I've come. And I hope, by Thy good pleasure, safely to arrive at home. Jesus sought me when a stranger, wandering from the fold of of God; He, to rescue me from danger, interposed His precious blood." - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scott and Jordan, what a blessing your little girl is to your family and unknowing to you a lot of others. I have known your Mom for years. This little girl has brought more joy and love than you could ever imagine. She should make us all stop and think and be thankful for our abilities and look at our inabilities in a different light. God bless your family. Marilla