Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Moving forward..

We want to say thank you to everyone who has poured out their love to our family in the past two weeks. There is such a peace in knowing Dan is free from his struggle with cancer, but we will of course miss him terribly. We do not want to move on, but just rather move forward. Rob left me a note this morning in our journal about an awesome word he received from the Lord and I want to share it with ya'll:

"This is something I came across in my devotion, and thought I would share with you all. I was reading and came across this verse:

"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live." (Deu. 4:9)

I sat on that verse for a while. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that for me the greatest challenge that lies ahead is to "watch yourself closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen." In a sense, there are challenges that lay ahead (grieving the loss of dad, explaining to Zachary and Haley why they can't see PaPa anymore, taking care of mom, figuring out who to call when my car makes a weird noise, etc.)
But, God convicted me that my biggest challenge that lies ahead is to not forget how much the past two years have changed me. It would be very easy to retreat to routine and regularity, but to do so would negate so much of what God has taught me. I have changed so much in the past two years because of all that I have seen and God challenged me to allow those changes to take root in this new season. I don't want to go back to the way I was before, but I realized that I will have to be intentional to avoid retreating to routine and normalcy. I will have to "watch myself closely....as long as I live."

I thought it was something I would share because of how much it applies to all of us. Anyway, I hope you get what I am saying.
rob"


Dan's legacy will always be carried on through his four boys. We cherish the time we had with him and now we move forward to our new normal. We are certainly used to trying to find a "new normal" in our house. Thank you again for the messages, texts, emails, phone calls and outpouring of love and support.

*********

Zachary and Ansley are such wonderful therapy during difficult times. They give us so much perspective and bring so much JOY during this season.

Our "sweet sweet"


Zachary and I made some homemade playdoh yesterday and had a blast! We sat at his little table for the entire length of Ansley's nap!! So much fun!

Those of you who know me well will particularly enjoy this next one.. Zachary insisted we make this one..


Yes, that is an Eiffel Tower. I've already got Zachary asking Rob to go see it : ) Someday little buddy!!

And by the way mommas, this play-doh recipe was the best one I have ever tried. So easy, fast and perfect results!

Homemade Play-doh:

1 Cup flour

1/2 cup salt

1 cup water

1 tb. cooking oil

2 tsp. cream of tartar

Mix everything in a pot on Med-High heat. Once smooth, add a few drops of food coloring and stir constantly. It will turn to paste in about 2 minutes.

2 comments:

Susan Horn said...

Rob and Jordan,
Just wanted to let you know that I think of you guys and pray for you so often. Your love and dependance on our perfect God is contagious!
I will continue to pray that God would draw you close to Him in the days ahead when you and the kids miss Dan.
Love, Susan Horn

The McBs said...

What a great word from Rob. We love your hearts!! Praying God continues to show himself to you through this time.... and now I can add to our prayers for you a visit to the Eiffel Tower! Love to you guys...