Thursday, September 30, 2010

October 1st... Darkness to LIGHT!

One year ago on October 1st, we received the most heartbreaking, crushing news of our lives. The results of Ansley's MRI. I will never forget desperately asking her neurologist if it was still possible for her to live a normal life. He slowly and compassionately shook his head and said, "No, I'm sorry, that would just not be possible. The deficits of her brain are just too significant." We could barely make it through the appointment as we discussed what her brain would most likely be capable of.... if ever. I'll never forget walking back out to the appointment desk to make our follow up for the next six months and I began falling apart. I couldn't hold back anymore and the sobs just started overtaking me. I remember wanting to scream at all the nurses behind the desk looking at me like I needed to get a grip. But then, our neurologist walked over to me and put his arm around me and held a box of tissues in front of me. I reached out to grab one, barely able to breathe, and he said, "Go ahead and grab another for the ride home. It's ok to cry. This is going to be alright." We are so unbelievably thankful for such a compassionate, caring doctor. We were on the eve of Rob's fall break and had a beach trip planned, but we cancelled it because we were just too heartbroken. Dan and Jan offered us a cabin to getaway as a family for a couple of days and it was wonderful. We had just send out our "state of the union" email to all of our family and friends stating that after a brutal 24 hours, we felt the Lord was stirring a hope in us to call upon His word and claim His promises over Ansley for a healing one milestone at a time. We layed out on the deck of our cabin one night looking up at the stars knowing the the Creator of this universe who holds all things in the palm of His hand was able to heal our precious girl. And so we began our journey. Fast forward one year... October 1st has become an Ebenezer for our family. We are leaving for the beach and this year Jan is coming with us. We are SO excited to celebrate together! It is no coincedence that Ansley had her bi-annual early intervention evaluation today and she tested mostly at a 15-17 month old level. She is 15 1/2 months old. She is behind a little bit in her fine motor skills, but we are going to start occupational therapy soon to help. The OT evaluating her felt strongly that if we hit it hard that she will progress quickly and not need therapy for more than a few months. Lord Jesus... You have chosen to shower your limitless power and mercy on our Ansley and we will sing your praises and proclaim what You have done for all to hear!!!!
Isaiah 12: 2-6
"Surely God is my salvation;
I will trust and not be afraid.
The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song;
he has become my salvation...
Give thanks to the LORD, call on His name;
make known among the nations what he has done,
and proclaim that his name is exalted.
Sing to the LORD, for he has done glorious things;
let this be known to all the world.
Should aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion,
for great is the Holy One..."
"My whole being will exclaim, 'Who is like you, O Lord?'" (Ps. 35:10)
So here we stand, one year later with a healthy, age-appropriate 15 month old! The "normal" that was "impossible" one year ago is slowly fading away in light of God's awesome power and merciful compassion. Our whole beings exclaim- "Who is like you, O Lord?"
"God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist. In hope against hope he believed." (Rom. 4:17-18) God has called our little girl to life one milestone at a time. We thank you so much for journeying with us this past year in prayer and believing with us in hope. We can't wait to see where God takes Ansley by Oct. 1st 2011!
****************
Because I can't do a post without pictures...
The many faces of Zachary:














Little Miss : )




Mommy intervention needed PRONTO!
(Golf club in hand poised for attack)




Roasting hot dogs




Just another day... Just another wrestling match. She is one tough cookie!



Please notice the absolute JOY on her face... loves her brother!!



Getting to be a pro with the spoon!

A little scooping action...



And a little slurping action...



Zachary got a mini tent last year for Christmas from my parents and it is currently set up in the living room. They are all about "relaxing" in it.



One of the rare, blissful naps with me and my boy! This particular nap only took 45 minutes of him elbowing me in the face and kneeing me in the stomach... to finally fall asleep 5 minutes before Ansley woke up.



No comments: