Monday, November 15, 2010

Giving Thanks

Ephesians 5:19-20
"Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."
I'm so thankful to spend my moments and days with my treasures. All of us parents have moments that drive us to the brink of insanity, but the joy... oh the joy children bring. Sometimes it seems so taboo to talk about the struggles of parenting; like no one wants to admit the realities of how difficult it can truly be at times. But, it is ridiculous how much the difficulties are trumped by the moments that you'll remember forever. The late nights in the rocking chair, the laughter of sibling love, the things that come out of their mouths (!), the questions they ask that melt your heart, when you begin to see a desire for God in their little hearts... treasures.
When I wake up in the morning with the mindset of making my day with them about bringing praise and worship before the Lord with the way I mother them, it's outrageous how differently our day goes. Especially in those challenging discipline moments. Zachary has such a strong will and there is a thick, black line between breaking a child's will and breaking their spirit or tearing them down with words. Discipline is a crucial time to press in with love. It's hard sometimes to find the balance between being firm and stern, but doing so in love. Especially when you feel like you're going to go stark raving mad : ) Grace.
******
Zachary walked around laughing hysterically at himself for a good twenty minutes listening to different sounds in the stethescope.

I'm sure you can imagine the sounds that a 4 1/2 year boy might come up with


One of our many "follow the leader" games came shortly thereafter. Ansley simply grabs onto whatever Zachary is holding and he drags her behind him while they both laugh their little heads off.




And oh dear... I consider you warned before viewing this next photo of Rob's annual tradition. After he is over growing out his beard, he trims it down piece by piece. All he needed was a cowboy hat and he could've walked onto a western movie.
I present... the Fu Man Chu (sp?):



Girlfriend has a new trick...


Turning, tuuuurning...


She did it!


Psalm 68:34 "Proclaim the power of God..."

By the way... did you notice the chair in the background of the fu man chu picture? It is missing it's seat cover. Why? Because that was the starting point of our weeking stomach bug-fest. I was in the kitchen when Zachary started screaming. His stomach came up and up and up in the chair before I could move him. Poor guy. He had a rough night and the next morning it was my turn!! Lucky for me it was the weekend so Rob was home to take care of the kids while I was unconscious in bed! We are all better now and thank the Lord Rob and Ansley did not get it!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

So sorry you guys were sick! Some friends of mine have had that stomach bug around here, too. And about the treasure moments, I love those and have them often no matter how bad the day. Have you read "Don't make me count to 3" by Ginger Plowman, its a great Christian based book about discipline. I am not finished reading it but love it so far.