Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Not by Sight...

Awhile back, I saw the devotional "Jesus Calling" everywhere I looked. And 'everywhere I looked' could not recommend it highly enough. It has been every bit of the amazing-ness that I expected. It's written by Sarah Young, a missionary, who describes her journey of becoming a "listener". She talks about how she learned the art of listening to the Lord by sitting, pen and paper in hand, ready and waiting to hear the Lord speak to her. How it started awkwardly and evolved into a beautiful dialogue between her and the Lord. Long story short, she turned her journals into a devotional. She bases each day on scripture and writes as the Lord speaking to you. I. LOVE. IT. It's especially great for busy mornings (whether a Momma or not) when you don't have the time to really sit and be still with the Lord for awhile. Did I say that I love it??!

The Lord has repeatedly spoken so clearly to my heart through the book. Moments of ache, moments of happiness and encouraging words of His thoughts for me. I have been reading the entry for March 11th again over and over since I read it because it is an arrow of TRUTH that pierces straight to the depths of me. But, can't we all use a reminder to WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT? This world will never stop telling you what cannot be done. The power of the holy name of Jesus Christ will never stop telling you His power knows no limits. Amen!!

So, here is her journal entry from March 11th. And heres to learning to be a "listener":

"WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT. As you take steps of faith, depending on Me, I will show you how much I can do for you. If you live your life too safely, you will never know the thrill of seeing Me work through you. When I gave you My Spirit, I empowered you to live beyond your natural ability and strength. That's why it is so wrong to measure your energy level against the challenges ahead of you. The issue is not your strength but Mine, which is limitless. By walking close to Me, you can accomplish My purposes in My strength."

2 Corinthians 5:7 "We live by faith, not by sight."
Galatians 5:25 "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

No comments: